Episode Three | Bipartisan Solutions for Ending the Prison-Industrial Complex Once and For All
Episode Three of Unrig the System Podcast discusses the impacts of the prison industrial complex—and bipartisan solutions for unrigging our criminal justice system.
Special interests exploit our corrupt political system to pad their bottom lines, maligning our criminal justice system and keeping Americans behind bars in the process. Now, an unresponsive Congress and a hardened Department of Justice have pushed the issue of criminal justice reform to the state and local levels. But exciting new bipartisan coalitions are pushing back, coming together on two particular high-impact reforms—overhauling our lobbying laws and changing how we choose state court judges—that can help redefine what’s possible for both the democracy and criminal justice communities.
- Moderator: DeRay Mckesson, Civil Rights Activist, Author, and Host of Pod Save the People; Campaign Zero
- Speaker 1: The Honorable Penny White, Professor of Law, University of Tennessee College of Law; Former Justice of the Tennessee Supreme Court
- Speaker 2: Julie Warren, Tennessee State Director, Right on Crime; Fellow, Beacon Center
- Speaker 3: Rev. Jeannie Alexander, Director, No Exceptions Prison Collective
- Speaker 4: Keshia Morris, Mass Incarceration & Census Project Manager, Common Cause