Episode Four | The Future is On the Lines — Fighting Gerrymandering in the Lead-Up to 2021
In this episode, legal, policy, and grassroots advocates discuss why redistricting is so important, and where the fight to end gerrymandering is headed. In 2018, five states—Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, and Utah—all won historic gerrymandering reform with bipartisan support. With the recent Supreme Court ruling that partisan gerrymandering is an inherently political fight, and “beyond the reach” of any federal court, the strategy to fix gerrymandering starts and ends with the states
Facebook post that started a movement. A “People’s Veto” campaign that fought back against a legislature meddling with the will of the people. So many incredible stories of people power fighting back against rigged voting lines. With new congressional districts to be drawn in 2021—this episode will discuss this unprecedented year of reforms—and how we can “slay the gerrymander” once and for all.
- Moderator: Kathay Feng, National Redistricting Director, Common Cause
- Speaker 1: The Honorable Tim Burchett, U.S. House of Representatives (R-TN)
- Speaker 2: Paul Smith, Vice President, Litigation and Strategy, Campaign Legal Center
- Speaker 3: Katie Fahey, Executive Director, Voters Not Politicians (MI)
- Speaker 4: Kareem Crayton, Executive Director, Southern Coalition for Social Justice